Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Skilled Trade
A Cable Technician is a progression from the Installer position. Working as a member of the project team, the Technician is primarily responsible for enhancing over-all job site productivity. The Technician is expected to have a fluent skillset and will assist with multiple aspects of the cable installation process; including: pathway construction, Telecommunication Room build-out, cable terminations, and labeling.
Major Roles and Responsibilities
- Install cable pathway systems (cable trays, cable racks, J-hooks or D-rings).
- Install, terminate, test, label and document horizontal, backbone and other cables.
- Dress and route cable into telecommunications closets, modular furniture and other work areas.
- Build out telecommunication and equipment rooms.
- Fire-stop various types of cable penetrations.
- Test, troubleshoot, and document test results for cabling.
- Must have ability to install, terminate and test low voltage cables & fiber optic cables (to include twisted pair cable, coax, power limited tray cable, standard & solid conductor low voltage cable, single mode & multi-mode fiber optic cables).
- Understands, adheres to, and promotes the Environmental,Health& Safety policies.
- Perform/prepare timely field reporting of asset usage as required.
- Perform other duties as needs arise.
- Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor.
- Maintain a satisfactory compliance with customer.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Ability to understand and effectively explain every aspect of the structured cabling system including pathways, spaces, horizontal cabling, backbone copper, backbone fiber optic, cross and inter-connections, and testing. This includes understanding applicable codes, standards, and industry-best practices and the ability to differentiate between them and make recommendations.
- Ability to choose the correct tool and methodology for the given task; for themselves and can help other team members do the same.
- Ability to listen carefully to follow instructions
- Demonstrated aptitude for learning from senior team members
- Exhibit a positive attitude
- High attention to detail
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Willingness to work days, night, and weekends as project requires
- Self-motivated and excellent work ethic
- Demonstrated team work and versatility in integrating into multiple work environments.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- High School Diploma or GED
- Industry Certifications
- In-house Certified Training Required (company provided)
- 1-3 years’ work experience in Structured Cabling
- Read, write, and understand English
- Able to distinguish colors
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Ability to travel 90-95% of the time.
- Probationary period of 90 days
- Individuals with a felony or misdemeanor convictions MAY not be hired
- Individuals must not have any alcohol or drug-related convictions or suspensions within the past three years.
- Individual must be able to read and understand instructions in English as well as possess good oral & written communication skills.
- Individual must be able to pass a drug and physical screening as well as background requirements.
Individual must be available to work variable hours.