El Paso Electric Company
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
OUTAGE ENGINEER- ASSOCIATE- STAFF L1210613- L2210614
at El Paso Electric Company
ENGINEER- ASSOCIATE- STAFF L1210613- L2210614
EL PASO, TX
DATE POSTED: 10/09/2019 CLOSING DATE: 10/16/2019
JOB STATUS: FULL TIME
DEPARTMENT: OUTAGE AND GENERATION PROJECTS
STARTING SALARY: $61,100- $94,779 Salary is commensurate with experience.
For over 100 years, El Paso Electric Company has been serving West Texas and Southern New Mexico with safe and reliable electric energy. Today, we are a regional electric utility with over 1,000 employees providing generation, transmission and distribution service to approximately 400,000 retail and wholesale customers in a 10,000 square mile service area. Our common stock trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol EE and we invite you to visit our website to learn more about our rich history, our plans for the future, and great career opportunities with El Paso Electric Company.
Education and/or Special Training
Years of Experience
Engineer - Associate
BS – Mechanical Engineering
0 to 3
Engineer - Staff
BS – Mechanical Engineering
3 or more
JOB FAMILY SUMMARY PURPOSE
Under the supervision of the Power Plant Outage Superintendent plans, executes, directs, coordinates, and reports on turbine outage maintenance projects for all local generation units; Provides mechanical engineering support for power plant projects as required.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate with or without a reasonable accommodation that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
1. Knowledge of engineering principles and practices, hydraulics, heat transfer, thermodynamic, vibration theory, rotating equipment, machine and plan design and specifications, and material and labor cost estimation.
2. Ability to effectively manage several tasks at the same time, perform complex calculations, and operate various engineering software applications and devices including but not limited to MS Project, CAD, and MS Office.
3. Knowledge of combustion turbine, steam turbine, and generator maintenance requirements.
4. Knowledge of fossil fuel power plant equipment, operations, maintenance, and terminology.
5. Knowledge of project management concepts and functional procedures. Working knowledge of the principles and practices of related technical areas and the ability to coordinate work with other technical disciplines.
6. Working knowledge of OSHA standards.
7. Effective verbal and written communication skills.
8. Demonstrates strong problem solving ability and the characteristics of a highly motivated self-starter.
9. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with officers, managers, supervisors, fellow employees, and the general public.
10. Ability to maintain a strong sense of propriety concerning confidential matters.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Manage the successful completion of maintenance outages on steam and gas turbine power generation equipment.
2. Support the operation and maintenance of electrical power generating stations by providing technical assistance to plant O&M teams.
3. Responsible for developing project planning and management from initiation to closure following established project management principals and methodology, incorporating past lessons learned, while adhering to industry standards.
4. Develop and maintain project budgets and schedules as well as work approaches to be employed including equipment selection and staffing requirements.
5. Prepares work scopes and RFPs for projects, reviews proposals, and recommends vendor selection.
6. Coordinates work of contractor, sub-contractor, and EPE plant personnel.
7. Oversee and inspect work performed at off-site vendor facilities.
8. Prepares purchase requisitions, work orders, time sheets and controls costs relative to budget schedules and contractor operations.
9. Attends meetings and prepares correspondence, reports and project status reports for management.
10. Review of drawings, plan specifications and cost estimations for equipment, materials and labor needed for the construction and installation of projects.
11. Evaluate new and changing technologies and products for applications in a power plant.
12. Coordinates tests and ongoing projects with Company personnel, contractors and other agencies.
13. Performs inspection and Quality Assurance/Quality Control functions with regards to design, operational standards, equipment maintenance and safety standards.
14. Maintains work files: drawings, costs, calculations, materials used and other suitable information.
15. Complies with all applicable Company policies, procedures and code of ethics as well as all applicable governmental laws and regulations to include employment, safety and environmental standards and regulations.
16. Ensures that established Generation Outage Department guidelines are employed throughout the project duration.
17. Valid driver’s license and be in compliance with the Company’s Driving Program policy.
18. Perform other related tasks that are not included, but are within the context of the duties defined.
1. The incumbents in this classification are subject to both inside and outside environmental conditions and temperature changes of extreme cold weather (below 32 degrees for periods of more than one hour) and extreme hot weather (temperatures above 100 degrees for periods of more than one hour); and are exposed to loud noises, vibration, hazards, atmospheric conditions and oils.
2. Works in and around heavy industrial equipment.
3. May work non-standard hours.
4. May require travel to multiple Company work sites.
5. May require out of town travel.
1. Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. Use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of force.
2. Climbing: Ascending or descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms.
3. Balancing: Maintaining body equilibrium to prevent falling when walking, standing or crouching on narrow, slippery or erratically moving surfaces.
4. Stooping: Bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist.
5. Kneeling: Bending legs at knee to come to a rest on knee or knees.
6. Crouching: Bending the body downward and forward by bending leg and spine.
7. Crawling: Moving about on hands and knees or hands and feet.
8. Reaching: Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
9. Standing: Particularly for sustained periods of time.
10. Walking: Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks.
11. Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position.
12. Fingers: Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand or arm as in handling.
13. Grasping: Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm.
14. Feeling: Perceiving attributes of objects, such as size, shape and temperatures or texture by touching with skin, i.e., fingertips.
15. Talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; those activities in which detailed or important spoken instructions must be conveyed to other workers accurately, loudly or quickly.
16. Hearing: Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make fine discriminations in sound, such as when making fine adjustments on machined parts.
17. Visual acuity: Color, depth perception and field of vision to include measurement devices for close inspection and analysis.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS PACKAGE:
Medical and Dental Insurance
Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
Travel Accident Insurance
Long Term Disability Benefits
Short Term Disability Benefits
Cash Balance Plan
401 (k) Savings Plan (with Company Match)
Annual Bonus Plan
Paid Time Off (PTO) Benefits
Employee Assistance Plan (EAP)
Employee and Community Support Activities
El Paso Electric Company (EPE) is dedicated to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons in all areas of occupation without regard to age, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, workers' compensation, veteran status, genetic information, or familial responsibilities. In addition, EPE is committed to complying with all relevant and applicable federal, state and local laws pertaining to equal employment opportunity and nondiscrimination in the workplace.
If interested in applying for this position, you must apply on-line by 5:00 PM, October 16, 2019. (Please scroll back up to the “Apply Now” button)