El Paso County, Texas
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
SHERIFF'S OFFICE- DETENTION OFFICER TRAINEE
at El Paso County, Texas
Pay: up to $17.57/hour
$17.57 - $
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2587634
Overall Job Objective
- Minimum Qualifications
- High school diploma or passed a general education development (GED) test indicating high school graduation level; and minimum of 15 college credit hours from an accredited college or university, or two years of active military service, or four years of reserve military service.
Must be at least 18 years of age, must meet the minimum standards for enrollment and initial licensure required by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement and the El Paso County Sheriff's Office, must have a current and valid Texas driver's license.Knowledge of: Computer literature, English usage, grammar, punctuation and spelling; techniques for effective interpersonal communications.Skill/Ability to: read, write and communicate effectively in English; conceal any tattoos, body art or branding by use of the authorized uniform or Office authorized clothing; have and maintain high ethical stands; credibly testify in court; maintain confidentiality of information; establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; read and interpret documents such as department/division policy and procedures manual, inmate rules and regulations; learn to write routine reports and correspondence; add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals; apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form; observe situations analytically and objectively, and record them clearly and completely; react quickly and calmly in emergencies; pass a background investigation; complete the El Paso County Sheriff's Office/Region VIII Training Academy (or equivalent upon approval of the Sheriff), including passing the Detention Officer licensing examination in compliance with the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education in a reasonable timeframe.
- Typical Duties
- Successfully performs physical and academic curriculum in a classroom/obstacle course setting to learn the duties of a Detention Officer position;
- Commits self to providing excellent customer service and demonstrates commitment through cooperative team and individual efforts; and
- Creates a high quality work culture through participation in and emphasis on training and mentoring to develop leadership, management, and technical skills in self and all employees, including safety related training and skills.
- Job Summary
- The Detention Officer Trainee works under regular supervision while training in detention officer duties in accordance with the mission, goals and objectives of the El Paso County Sheriff's Office and in compliance with governing federal, state and local laws.