El Paso County, Texas
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
171ST DISTRICT COURT - CERTIFIED COURT REPORTER
at El Paso County, Texas
- Minimum Qualifications
High School diploma or GED; attendance of or graduation from a Court Reporting College or Court Reporting School; Associates Degree in Applied Science for Court and Conference reporting preferred.
- Must be a currently Certified Shorthand Reporter as recognized by the Supreme Court of Texas.
- Must have at least two (2) years experience as a full time Certified Shorthand Reporter.
- Must possess the ability to deal with Supreme Court Justices, Appellate Court Justices, District Court Judges, County Court Judges, Court Master, Attorney, Parties to a lawsuit, Jurors, and the Public.
- Must have extensive knowledge of Appellate Court rules pertaining to the duties of his/her office.
- Must have knowledge of legal and medical terminology.
- Must have general knowledge of the court system.
- Typical Duties
- Attends all sessions of the court.
- Takes full shorthand notes of oral testimony offered before the court, including objections made to the admissibility of evidence, court rulings and remarks on the objections, and exceptions to the rulings.
- Takes full shorthand notes of closing arguments if requested to do so by the attorney or a party to the case, including objections to the arguments, court rulings and remarks on the objections, and exceptions to the rulings.
- Read portions of shorthand notes to resolve disputes of testimony, argument, or matters of law upon request of the trial court.
- Files all exhibits or necessary documents with the clerk of the court.
- Preserves all shorthand notes for future reference, as per statutory guidelines.
- Furnishes a verbatim transcript, as per statutory guidelines, of the reported evidence, including necessary exhibits or documents, or other proceedings, in whole or in part, utilizing his/her expertise of one of the following means:
- Computer-aided transcription equipment
- Ability to perform real-time transcriptions
- Dictation Equipment
- Through services of reporter-employed note reader
- Certifies to the accuracy of the verbatim transcript produced, as per statutory guidelines.
- Performs such other related duties as may be assigned.
- Job Summary
- Within statutory guidelines, a Certified, Sworn Officer of the court who attends all sessions of the court and takes full shorthand notes of all proceedings of said sessions, preserving the shorthand notes until requested to produce a verbatim transcript of the same. No supervision required.