El Paso Children's Hospital
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Child Life Specialist
at El Paso Children's Hospital
Ensures that comprehensive child life services are provided to minimize the negative impact of a trauma, hospitalization, and illness by addressing the emotional, cognitive, and developmental needs of patients and families. Includes working with all pediatric age patients by facilitating their socialization and positive adjustment to the hospital environment, promoting age appropriate activities to assure continued growth and development; preparing them for the necessary medical interventions through play and/or discussion; by encouraging the use of coping skills during stressful medical encounters and by fostering the patient's self expression, autonomy, sense of mastery and positive self esteem.. Engages in opportunities to integrate child life services within the community and at the national level to promote the profession of Child Life.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and presentation skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively within a team, across disciplines and with patient and families.
- Ability to function independently, prioritize and manage time.
- Analytical ability necessary in order to design therapeutic play programs, observe behaviors and assist students and volunteers in learning activities.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
- Successful completion of Child Life Specialist Internship in a healthcare setting.
- Thorough knowledge of basic practices in child development.
- Certification as a Child Life Specialist is required, or obtained within one year of being in position.
- Current CPR required.
Education and Training:
Bachelor’s degree in Child Development, Child Life, Psychology, or related field is required.