Bering Straits Native Corporation
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Food Service Worker
at Bering Straits Native Corporation
Visit our website at www.beringstraits.com to apply!
Global Precision Systems, LLC a subsidiary of Bering Straits Native Corporation is currently seeking a qualified Food Service Worker in El Paso, TX. Working under the supervision of the Assistant Food Service Manager the Food Service Worker assists Cook I and Cook II in performing a variety of tasks concerned with the preparation and serving of food and beverages. The Food Service Worker will act independently or assist in the performance of any and all duties necessary to keep the facility in full operation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Essential Duties and Responsibilities are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed for this position, and are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
- Washes, peels, scrapes and cuts vegetables and fruits.
- Prepares simple salads and toast.
- Cuts butter and slices cakes and pies.
- Makes coffee, tea and other beverages.
- Dishes out portions of food on trays or plates, and pours beverages.
- Prepares dining and serving areas by setting up counters, stands, and tables.
- Places food containers in serving area, fills salt and pepper shakers and place linen and silverware on tables.
- Scrapes, washes and sorts dishes, glassware and silverware. Cleans kitchen equipment, pots and pans, counters and tables.
- Sweeps and mops floors.
- Will be assigned duties with selected detainees.
- Under direction will measure, stir, cut, grind, chop, and season ingredients according to recipes.
- Delivers food carts to detention areas and return carts to kitchen.
- Prepares and maintains proper levels of box lunches.
- Draws required cooking utensils from kitchen storage areas.
- Loads and unloads delivery trucks as necessary.
- Work is completed in a priority established by supervision or facility need.
- All work will be completed with a high degree of professionalism, quality and craftsmanship.
- Lulls in workload are used to maintain a clean and orderly work area and to insure clerical tasks are up to date. Keeps up to date on departmental and facility safety standards and local codes and policies.
- Will perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS - EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION
Required (Minimum) Qualifications
- U.S. Citizen
- Must be able to pass extensive background investigation and pre-employment medical testing
- Must be able to speak, read and write in English
- Not currently employed by federal agency or active duty military
- HS Graduate or equivalent
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Physically capable of responding to emergencies, such as running with a fire extinguisher.
- Capable of understanding and applying written and verbal orders, rules and regulations.
- English literacy and ability to write/read reports in English.
- Meet physical/health requirements for duties.
- Must be able to follow Standard Codes of Conduct pertaining to interaction with the detainee population.
- Experience in large scale cooking preferred.
- Ability to speak, write and comprehend a second language.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Must maintain a constant state of mental alertness at all times. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Individual will be required to stand or walk for extended periods of time and push or pull heavy equipment. In addition, squatting, kneeling, sitting, bending, reaching and climbing also required. May lift or push up to 50 lbs, such as food trays, boxes, carts, etc.
Work Environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be borne by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Individual will be required to work in all areas of the detention facility working in close proximity to detainee population. Individual will need to be able to quickly respond to a change in work demands. May be exposed to cleaning chemicals and solvents. May work in close proximity to steam or gas ovens that produce intense heat.
- No supervisory responsibilities.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFYING FACTORS
As a condition of employment, may be required to pass a pre-employment drug screening, as well as have acceptable reference and background check results to obtain access to military base. Must have reliable transportation to/from work a necessity and must be able to obtain access to military installations.
Shareholder Preference. BSNC gives hiring, promotion, training and retention preference to BSNC shareholders, BSNC shareholder descendants and BSNC shareholder spouses, in that order.
Bering Straits Native Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/ AA/ Male/ Female/ Disability/ Vets employer.
We participate in the E-Verify Employment Verification Program. We are a drug free workplace.